University General Course Catalog 2012-2013 
    Dec 06, 2023  

Residential Life, Housing and Food Services

Living on campus can be a very special and rewarding part of your experience at the University of Nevada. By living on campus, students can enjoy the convenience of being only minutes away from classrooms, the library, and food service. The Residential Life, Housing and Food Service office provides students with a variety of living options, including nine residence halls and a family housing apartment complex.

Campus Dining - (775) 784-1113

The Downunder Cafe offering all you care to eat meals and the D-C Store convenience store are on the west side of Virginia Street below Argenta Hall. The Overlook is located in the Jot Travis Building by Manzanita Lake and offers Starbucks specialty coffees, pizza, burgers, sandwiches and other popular foods such as sushi. Other locations include Las Trojes Express Mexican restaurant in the Ansari Business Building, the Northside Cafe in the Fitzgerald Student Services Building, Bytes Cafe featuring Peets Coffee in the Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center, Elements Cafe in the Davidson Math and Science Center, Pathways Cafe in the Center for Molecular Medicine, BoDawg’s Hot Dogs behind the Virginia Street Gym, and Jolt-N-Java in front of the Getchell Building. Students can also have Dominos Pizza delivered to their residence hall by using their FoodBucks account. A variety of meal plans is available for both on and off campus students. For more information on meal plans, FoodBucks, or other dining services visit the Residential Life, Housing, and Food Service office in Juniper Hall, call us at (775)784-1113, or visit us online.

General Housing Policy

All admitted, full-time students are eligible to live in university residence halls. Students may apply for on-campus housing after applying for admission to the University and receiving their NSHEid#. Students do not have to be formally admitted to the University to apply for housing as assignments are made in the order the application is received. The demand for on-campus housing often exceeds the space available.

Emphasis on Academic Success

Residence halls provide an environment for students to live together, study and interact. We value student success and have the following expectations for members of our academic community:

  1. Successful completion of 12 credits at UNR each semester is required to maintain housing.
  2. A minimum of a 2.0 cumulative GPA is expected of all residence hall students.
  3. All residence hall students are expected to attend classes.

Living Learning Communities

For those students who qualify to live in these communities, residents enroll in a core group of classes together, receive personalized attention from their instructors, receive additional academic supports, study and socialize as a group to help them gain the maximum benefit from the college experience.

Residence Halls

The residence halls are administered through the Residential Life, Housing and Food Service Office. On-campus living provides an environment which encourages academic pursuits and personal growth.There are nine residence halls on campus, with many options and types of facilities including:

Argenta Hall, houses up to 750 students and is located adjacent to Nye Hall. This coed residence hall is composed of large double or triple occupancy rooms with a bathroom and shower in each room.

Juniper Hall, adjacent to Manzanita Hall, is organized by suite and houses up to 140 men and women in double and single rooms. Two or four students share a two-bedroom suite.

Lincoln Hall, originally constructed in 1896, houses 66 men in double and single rooms. This hall has been recently renovated to recreate a “turn-of-the-century” atmosphere. Rich in campus tradition, Lincoln Hall features a billiards room and is a very popular choice for academically orented male residents.

Manzanita Hall, located on Manzanita Lake, houses 93 women in double and single rooms. This hall was also completed in 1896 and has been renovated to recreate a “Victorian” atmosphere. Manzanita Hall is a very popular choice for academically-oriented female residents.

Nye Hall, the largest, traditional residence hall on campus, is located across Virginia Street near the center of campus. It houses a total of 540 men and women.

The Nevada Living and Learning Community, our newest residence hall, is the home of nine different first-year living and learning communities. It houses up to 320 students in 4-6 person suites. Each suite has a common bathroom area with a vanity, separate showers and toilets, and two or three bedrooms. Designed specifically to enhance the living learning community experience, each floor has extensive common area space dedicated for academic and social pursuits. The ground floor includes 4 classrooms and 12 faculty offices. In order to reside in the building you must also complete the separate Living Learning Community application and be accepted into one of the communities.

White Pine Hall, accommodates 157 male and female residents. It is organized into 20 suites. Each furnished suite contains four bedrooms and two baths, and a living room.

Canada Hall, houses 228 residents in spacious, furnished, apartment-style suites. Each apartment has three large bedrooms, two baths, a living room, a kitchen area and individually controlled heat/air conditioning in each bedroom. Canada Hall offers transfer and upper-class students an excellent alternative to off-campus living.

Sierra Hall, features four different living options for returning and transfer students. The hall is single-sex by room, features walk-in closets, and each room has its own bathroom and shower. It currently is the only residence hall to feature single rooms with private bathrooms. Students who have lived in the halls for at least one year, who are 20 years of age or older, or are of sophomore status are eligible to live here.

How to Apply for Housing

On-campus housing assignments are made for new students by date, in the order in which their housing license agreements and initial payment are received. May 1st is the priority deadline for housing applications.

For additional information, write to the University of Nevada, Residential Life, Housing and Food Service, P.O. Box 8034, Reno, Nevada 89507, or call (775) 784-1113.

Graduate and Family Housing

The university currently offers 40, one-bedroom, unfurnished apartments for family housing. Applications are available at the Residential Life, Housing and Food Service office. A new graduate and family housing apartment complex may open for Fall 2014.

Other Housing Options

After the residence halls, students may want to consider renting space in university-owned properties managed by the Real Estate Office. Properties available include single-family-style houses and an apartment-style building.

For listings, call (775) 784-4180 or visit the Real Estate Office website.

Need Help with a Landlord?

ASUN offers undergraduate students access to legal advice through its Legal Services program.

Private Housing is available off-campus

While living in campus residence halls is usually the best option of Nevada students, it is important to note that off-campus housing is readily available around the University and in the larger Reno-Sparks area.

Students and parents may use the alphabetized list of search engines and listings websites available at

All rental agreements are made between the parties involved and the University does not assume responsibility in this area.