University General Course Catalog 2018-2019 
    May 30, 2024  

Resources for Transfer Students

Transfer Agreements

Per NSHE Board of Regents policy, the University develops and maintains Core and major-to-major agreements with all NSHE institutions. These agreements outline the path that students who plan to complete both an associate’s and a bachelor’s degree should follow. Links to these agreements and additional information on transfer to the university are available at

In collaboration with faculty at the University of Nevada and other NSHE institutions, personnel in the Office of Admissions and Records maintain these agreements. As curriculum changes are reviewed through the campus and Board of Regents processes, the implications for transfer agreements are considered. The university’s catalog and curriculum coordinator informs affected NSHE institutions of proposed changes. When necessary, faculty proposing changes contact their peers at affected NSHE institutions to resolve curriculum questions. Faculty at other NSHE institutions keep the university apprised of curriculum changes at their institutions. Once changes have all required approvals, the Transfer Agreements are updated appropriately.

Reverse Transfer Agreements

Particularly in science and engineering programs, students who plan to complete both associate’s and bachelor’s degrees may be required to matriculate to the university prior to completing the requirements for a transfer associate’s degree.  In these cases, students may develop an individual reverse transfer agreement to earn their associate’s degree. Prior to enrolling at the university, students must meet with an advisor at the associate’s degree granting institution to determine how coursework completed at the university will be used to meet outstanding associate’s degree requirements. When the mutually agreed upon university coursework is complete, students must send an official University of Nevada transcript to the NSHE associate degree granting institution. Students may be required to complete an application for graduation at the associate degree granting institution prior to processing of the university transcript. Students should contact an academic advisor at their transfer institution for more details on the reverse transfer process.

Out of State Transfer Agreements

California Associate of Arts for Transfer (AA-T),
Associate of Science for Transfer (AS-T),
Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC),
California State University Breadth Agreement (CSU Breadth) 

Associate of Arts, Oregon Transfer (AAOT)
Associate of Science, Oregon Transfer (ASOT)

Texas Common Core

Direct Transfer Agreement associate degrees

Students who have completed one of the transfer degrees or general education transfer components listed above may not be required to take additional lower-division general education courses at the University of Nevada, Reno. (Per the NSHE Board of Regents, all students must complete ENG 102  and instruction in the United States and Nevada constitutions.) Many programs at the University require specific general education coursework as preparation for the major. Students are strongly encouraged to review major program descriptions in the University of Nevada, Reno general catalog and to consult a university transfer advisor to select general education coursework to ensure that work completed at the out of state institution will satisfy major-specific lower-division general education requirements at the University of Nevada, Reno.

Conferral of the AA-T, AS-T, AAOT, ASOT, or a DTA associate degree must appear on the official college transcript. Certification of completion of all the IGETC, CSU Breadth, or Texas Common Core requirements may appear on the official college transcript or on a separate official document issued by the institution. Partial certification will not be accepted.

Previous Bachelor’s Degree from a Regionally-Accredited Institution

Please see the information for Previous Bachelor’s Degree from a Regionally-Accredited Institution  on the Admission Information for Returning Students page.