University General Course Catalog 2019-2020 
    Mar 22, 2023  

Advisement for University Course Requirements/Academic Advising Reports (AAR)

Academic advisement is an essential aspect of a university education and a critical element in student success at the University of Nevada, Reno. It is an ongoing process that begins before the student’s first classroom experience, continues throughout the academic year and finally, prepares students to enter the world outside the university. Advisement is mandatory for new freshman. Registration holds are placed as new freshman are admitted and prior to the registration period for their second semester. The holds are removed as students are advised.

Academic Advising Reports: An Academic Advising Report (AAR) is available for enrolled graduate and undergraduate students in the Student Center in MyNEVADA. AAR lists the requirements for specific degree programs, shows how an individual student’s coursework is being used to satisfy degree requirements, and verifies each student’s eligibility for graduation. AAR is an important tool in the advising process; bring a current PDF AAR report to each advisement meeting. Forms used to update your AAR are available at

Planning and Scheduling Classes: Prior to registration, students are expected to seek academic advisement from their college advisor. An advisor can help students:

  • Make smart choices about which courses to take
  • Understand the requirements for majors and minors offered throughout the university
  • Develop educational and career goals suited to demonstrated abilities and expressed interests
  • Understand academic and administrative policies and procedures
  • Find resources available on campus to assist in the realization of identified goals and objectives

Students needing assistance in locating an advisor are referred to the listing of academic advisement contacts at the following website:

Required Courses: Students must satisfy the course requirements of the University Core Curriculum as well as those of their college and major. Students must be continuously enrolled in math and English courses until they complete the Core Curriculum Math and English requirements for their program. This catalog includes a detailed program description for every undergraduate program offered at the University.

English placement/exemptions:

  1. An ACT English standard score of at least 30 (or SAT verbal scores of at least 680), verified by a satisfactory written composition administered and evaluated by English department personnel, qualifies a student for exemption from ENG 101  and placement in ENG 102 . Students do not receive credit for ENG 101   as a result of this advanced placement.
  2. The English requirement may also be satisfied by:
    1. College Board Advanced Placement Examination (CBAPE) (refer to the CBAPE portion of this catalog);
    2. College-Level Examination Program (CLEP (refer to the CLEP portion of this catalog);
    3. a CLEP subject examination in college composition (refer to the CLEP portion of this catalog);
    4. an Excelsior College Examination (ECE in freshman English (refer to the ECE portion of this catalog);
    5. satisfactory completion of a special department examination;
    6. acceptable transfer credit equivalent to ENG 102  
    7. International Baccalaureate Examination (IB) (refer to the IB portion of this catalog.)

CLEP examinations must be supported by a satisfactory written essay.

Each student is expected to complete the university’s English requirement during the freshman year so that the acquired knowledge can be applied to the remaining courses in the degree program.

English as a Second Language (ESL): All new international students (both undergraduate and graduate) entering degree programs at the university must take the Bridge English Placement test administered by the Intensive English Language Center (IELC) unless they meet one of the following conditions:

  1. a score of 100 (Internet-Based test), 250 (Computer-Based test), 600+ (Paper-Based test) or on the TOEFL;
  2. a degree from an American university;
  3. the equivalent of ENG 101  or higher transferred from an American university or college.

The TOEFL requirement is waived for university admission for students coming from English speaking countries.  All students who do not meet one of these criteria must take the Bridge English Placement Test. If the test results show weaknesses in English language proficiency, students will be placed in one or more sections of ENG 112 (A-D). The IELC will enroll students in the required courses. Undergraduate students may not waive any required ENG 112 courses; these courses are taken concurrently with courses in the student’s degree program during the first semester at the university. Graduate students may receive a deferral of the requirement if there is a course conflict with other required courses. The deferral would be decided in consultation between the IELC and the graduate student’s advisor.

Undergraduate students must also complete ENG 113  (equivalent to ENG 101 ) and ENG 114  (equivalent to ENG 102 ) to graduate.

International graduate teaching assistants must achieve an acceptable score on the SPEAK (Speaking Proficiency in English Assessment Kit) test.

Mathematics placement/exemptions: Students must complete a mathematics course from the following Core Curriculum options to satisfy the requirement for graduation: MATH 120 MATH 126 , MATH 128 , MATH 176 , MATH 181 , MATH 126  and either MATH 127   or STAT 152  or APST 270 . MATH 122 , and MATH 123  do not meet the University Core Curriculum requirement or the math graduation requirement.

The mathematics requirement may also be satisfied by earning three credits through the following examinations or transfer credit:

  1. CBAPE
  2. IB
  3. CLEP, general and subject
  4. special department examinations or
  5. by receiving equivalent transfer credit in comparable mathematics courses.

Math placement testing or satisfactory SAT/ACT scores are required prior to enrolling in math courses. Refer to the current class schedule for additional details.