University General Course Catalog 2021-2022 
    Dec 06, 2023  

Resources for Transfer Students

Academic Advisement

Early in their academic career, transfer students should choose the major program they plan to complete at the University and carefully review the description/requirements for that program in the general catalog. Newly admitted transfer students are required to meet with an advisor prior to registration.  To ensure timely graduation, transfer students are very strongly encouraged to consult a University of Nevada academic advisor as early as possible.

Transfer Agreements

Per NSHE Board of Regents policy, the University develops and maintains Core and major-to-major agreements with all NSHE institutions. These agreements  outline the path that students who plan to complete both an associate’s and a bachelor’s degree should follow. Transfer students should consult a University of Nevada academic advisor early in their academic career.

In collaboration with faculty at the University of Nevada and other NSHE institutions, personnel in the Office of Admissions and Records maintain these agreements. As curriculum changes are reviewed through the campus and Board of Regents processes, the implications for transfer agreements are considered. The university’s catalog and curriculum coordinator informs affected NSHE institutions of proposed changes. When necessary, faculty proposing changes contact their peers at affected NSHE institutions to resolve curriculum questions. Faculty at other NSHE institutions keep the university apprised of curriculum changes at their institutions. Once changes have all required approvals, the Transfer Agreements are updated appropriately.

Reverse Transfer Agreements

Particularly in science and engineering programs, students who plan to complete both associate’s and bachelor’s degrees may be required to matriculate to the university prior to completing the requirements for a transfer associate’s degree.  In these cases, students may develop an individual reverse transfer agreement to earn their associate’s degree. Prior to enrolling at the university, students must meet with an advisor at the associate’s degree granting institution to determine how coursework completed at the university will be used to meet outstanding associate’s degree requirements. It is also important to inform your University of Nevada advisor that it you intend to earn an associate’s degree via reverse transfer.  When the mutually agreed upon university coursework is complete, students must send an official University of Nevada transcript to the NSHE associate degree granting institution. Students may be required to complete an application for graduation at the associate degree granting institution prior to processing of the university transcript. Students should contact an academic advisor at their transfer institution for more details on the reverse transfer process.

Out of State Transfer Agreements

The University provides waivers of the lower-division general education requirements for transfer students who have completed any one of the following:


  • California Associate of Arts for Transfer (AA-T),
  • Associate of Science for Transfer (AS-T),
  • Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC),
  • California State University Breadth Agreement (CSU Breadth) 


  • Associate of Arts, Oregon Transfer (AAOT)
  • Associate of Science, Oregon Transfer (ASOT)


Texas Common Core


  • Direct Transfer Agreement associate degrees

Core waivers will be processed for students who are active in a major program upon receipt of an official transcript on which one of the credentials above has been posted.  Certification of completion of all IGETC or CSU Breadth requirements may be submitted on a separate official document issued by the institution.


  • Per the NSHE Board of Regents, all students must complete ENG 102  and the United States and Nevada Constitutions  requirements.
  • Waivers will not be processed for General Education course requirements that serve as prerequisites for major courses.
  • Partial certification will not be accepted.

WICHE Passport

At the end of the Spring 2021 semester, the University of Nevada, Reno joined the Interstate Passport Network, a network of regionally-accredited institutions that agree to transfer completed general education requirements as a block in a seamless and efficient process among its members. Students who transfer into the University of Nevada, Reno with a Passport from another Network-member institution will not have to take additional courses to satisfy lower-division general education requirements.*

Earning a Passport recognizes that a student has achieved learning outcomes in the following nine knowledge and skill areas:

Foundational Skills: oral communication, written communication, quantitative literacy

Knowledge of Concepts: natural sciences, human cultures, creative expression, human society and the individual

Cross-cutting Skills: critical thinking and teamwork/value systems.

Upon achievement of the WICHE Passport (processing occurs at the end of each Fall and Spring semester) a milestone will be added in MyNevada and a note will be added to student transcripts. If you are interested in learning more, contact the Exploratory and Pre-Professional Advising Center.

*Students are required to complete General Education courses that serve as prerequisites to courses required in the major.

Transferability of University of Nevada, Reno Coursework

The transferability of credits earned at the University of Nevada, Reno is at the discretion of the receiving college, university, or other educational institution. Students considering transferring to any institution should not assume that credits earned in any program of study at the University of Nevada, Reno will be accepted by the receiving institution. Similarly, the ability of a degree, certificate, diploma, or other academic credential earned at the University of Nevada, Reno to satisfy an admission requirement of another institution is at the discretion of the receiving institution. Accreditation does not guarantee credentials or credits earned at the University of Nevada, Reno will be accepted by or transferred to another institution. To minimize the risk of having to repeat coursework, students should contact the receiving institution in advance for evaluation and determination of transferability of credits and/or acceptability of degrees, diplomas, or certificates earned.

Previous Bachelor’s Degree from a Regionally-Accredited Institution

Please see the information for Previous Bachelor’s Degree from a Regionally-Accredited Institution  on the Admission Information for Returning Students page.