University General Course Catalog 2022-2023 
    Mar 30, 2023  
University General Course Catalog 2022-2023

Academic Renewal

This policy applies only to coursework attempted at the University of Nevada, Reno. Under certain circumstances, undergraduate students may petition the registrar for academic renewal. If the petition qualifies, students may have a maximum of two consecutive semesters of course work disregarded in all calculations regarding academic standing, grade-point average and graduation eligibility. If summer work is to be included in the disregarded course work, then a five-week summer term shall count as one-half semester.

Eligibility for academic renewal is subject to the following conditions:

  1. At the time the petition is filed, at least five years must have elapsed since the most recent course work to be disregarded was completed.
  2. In the interval between the completion of the most recent course work to be disregarded and the filing of the petition, students shall have completed at least 15 acceptable credits of course work at a regionally accredited institution of higher education with a grade-point average of at least 2.50 on all work completed during that interval. Courses taken during the interval may be repeats of previously attempted college work.

The student’s filed petition will specify the semester(s) or term(s) to be disregarded. If more than one semester or term is to be disregarded, the semester(s)/term(s) must be consecutive, be completed within two calendar years and include no intervening enrollments at the university.

If the petition qualifies under this policy, the student’s permanent academic record will be suitably marked to indicate that no work taken during the disregarded semester(s), even if satisfactory, may apply toward graduation requirements. However, all course work will remain on the academic record, ensuring a true and accurate academic history.

Academic renewal can only be applied prior to graduation from the first undergraduate degree. Once a student graduates, academic renewal cannot be retroactively applied. Students may not apply for academic renewal from courses in which they received a sanction for academic dishonesty.