Jun 02, 2020
ENG 100J - Composition Studio (4 units)
The writing process, including audience, purpose, and context in academic genres; emphasis on planning, drafting, revising, and editing. Addresses global and local conventions and correctness. Fulfills ENG 101 prerequisite for ENG 102.
Prerequisite(s): ACT English score of 18 or ACT ELA score of 18 or SAT Verbal score of 440 or revised SAT Reading/Writing score of 420. Corequisite(s): ENG 100JL .
Grading Basis: Graded
Units of Lecture: 4
Offered: Every Fall and Spring
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
1. write arguments focused on a specific purpose.
2. write arguments that anticipate the needs of different readers.
3. recognize the differences among kinds of writing situations and be able to reproduce the conventions associated with a specific situation when writing an argument to address it.
4. combine knowledge from a variety of reliable sources including personal expertise when writing an argument.
5. demonstrate critical reading skills when interpreting, analyzing, discussing, and evaluating of a variety of texts.
6. develop standards of “good writing” by which they can evaluate their own and classmates’ essays during revision.
7. use productive strategies for generating, organizing, revising, and editing when writing arguments.
8. write understandable, efficient sentences that follow the general conventions of usage, spelling, grammar, style, and punctuation in standard written English; check for conventions about which they are unsure.
Click here for course scheduling information. | Check course textbook information
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)