I. Contact Information
Kambiz Raffiee, Ph.D., Associate Dean, MBA Program Director
College of Business, Mail Stop 0024
University of Nevada, Reno
1664 North Virginia Street
Reno, NV 89557-0024
II. Brief Description
The program is designed for individuals who have completed a baccalaureate degree in any field and who have at least two years of working experience. The MBA program generally can be completed by most students in three years or less of evening study. All students are encouraged to enter the program as well, but they must have obtained a minimum of two years of meaningful work experience in a business, government, or nonprofit organization. For additional information, please visit www.mba.unr.edu . This program is distinguished by four characteristics:
- It allows students a high degree of flexibility to choose electives that is applicable to their overall professional interest,
- All appropriate courses have an in depth content related to business issues,
- The program responds to those currently in managerial and professional positions and is flexible to their needs, and
- It is accredited by The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), the highest level of accreditation attainable in business education.
The program has been designed to promote understanding of the basic tools and techniques needed to manage effectively and efficiently in the changing global marketplace. An MBA from the University of Nevada, Reno will enable a manager or executive to perform a wide range of managerial functions, including:
- managing human and material resources in a culturally diverse and rapidly changing technological world,
- making decisions based on complex business information,
- using the most up to date financial and business data bases for analysis and application,
- understanding the implications of an increasingly global economy and the changing legal, ethical, cultural and political environments of business, and
- developing business policies and strategies that are responsive to rapid change.
III. Program Objectives/Student Learning Outcomes
The context of assessment for the MBA program at the University of Nevada, Reno is based on the guidelines of assurance of learning (AOL) by the Association to Advanced Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). Specifically, both course-embedded measures and indirect measures are used to assess student achievement of the program. The student learning outcomes (SLOs) of the program are:
SLO1: Students will demonstrate mastery of fundamental business knowledge and practices.
SLO2: Students will possess analytical and critical thinking skills
SLO3: Students will be Effective Communicators within a Business Environment.
SLO4: Students will be able to use information technology to support business analysis and operations.
SLO5: Students will recognize, evaluate and resolve ethical issues, both personally and organizationally.
IV. Admissions Requirement
The MBA graduate program is open to those who hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, or its equivalent. Any undergraduate major is acceptable and a student with a nonbusiness degree may find the program particularly worthwhile.
The college is primarily concerned with the candidate’s fitness for graduate study and promise of effective business performance. A judgment of these qualities is made from the following information: undergraduate record, performances on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT), or Graduate Record Examination (GRE), at least two letters of recommendation, a written statement indicating the candidate’s educational and career objectives, a resume detailing professional experience.
The applicant will be expected to demonstrate proficiency in oral and written communication. The written communication requirements are fulfilled by submitting a written statement indicating the candidate’s educational and career objectives and other writing samples the applicant may wish to have considered.
Applicants need to have a working knowledge of microcomputers and be able to use them for word processing and spreadsheets. If the applicant needs to improve in any of the areas mentioned above, skills counseling will be provided by the office of graduate programs.
Candidates for admission to the MBA Program must meet the Graduate School’s criteria as well as requirements for admission to graduate standing in the College of Business. These standards are subject to change.
- The applicant must have a baccalaureate (or an advanced) degree from an accredited four-year institution.
- The applicant must have an overall grade-point average (GPA) of at least 2.75 or last half GPA of at least a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- The applicant must have a minimum GMAT score of 500. The applicant must score above the twentieth percentile on each component of the GMAT. Scores must be submitted prior to admission. Please visit the following website for GMAT information: http://www.gmac.org. The Graduate Record Examination score must average 150. The GMAT or GRE examination may be waived if the applicant has an advanced or professional degree from an accredited institution.
- The applicant must have at least two years of significant professional experience.
- International students must have a minimum TOEFL score of 550 paper or 220 computerized score or IBT of at least 79. International students who are admitted to the program may be required to complete additional courses as recommended by the Intensive English Department upon enrollment.
If the applicant does not meet all the requirements, admissions to graduate standing in a prescribed program may be considered. A student enrolled in a prescribed program is ineligible for a teaching or research assistantship.
The following items should be submitted directly to the Graduate School: an on-line application to graduate school, non-refundable application fee, “official” transcripts from every school of higher education attended and a minimum of two recommendation letters. An applicant who has graduated from the University of Nevada, Reno does not need to request a copy of the UNR transcript.
A current, detailed resume and personal statement should be forwarded to the MBA Program at this address:
College of Business MS/0024
University of Nevada, Reno
Reno, NV 89557