University General Course Catalog 2020-2021 
    May 27, 2024  

BS/MS Accelerated Program, Hydrology and Hydrogeology (Interdisciplinary)

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Interdisciplinary Programs


An accelerated BS/MS Program encourages outstanding students in the BS Civil Engineering, BS Environmental Engineering, and BS Ecohydrology undergraduate degrees to obtain a MS degree in Hydrology or Hydrogeology in a shorter time at the University of Nevada, Reno. A student can obtain either a Plan A (Thesis) or Plan B (non-thesis) MS degree.

Contact Information

Dr. Sudeep Chandra, Interim Co-Director
Graduate Program of Hydrologic Sciences
(775) 784-6221

Dr. Scott Tyler, Interim Co-Director
Graduate Program of Hydrologic Sciences
(775) 784-6250


Admission Requirements

Students apply for the Accelerated Program after completing at least 75 credits towards their BS degree with a 3.2 GPA (only UNR courses are included in the GPA calculation). This will typically occur during the spring of their junior year. As part of the admission process, a student must select a faculty advisor for their graduate degree. Students should contact their academic faculty advisor for details.

Program Requirements

Students who are admitted into the program will be allowed to take up to 12 credits of courses (at least 3 courses) from the approved list of courses (see below) for their BS degree as 600-level graduate courses. The 600-level courses selected for this purpose must be approved by the student’s BS program department and graduate advisor. Undergraduate students must receive permission from the Graduate School in order to register for a 600-level course. A 700-level course cannot be taken as long as the student is an undergraduate. The student must receive a “B” or better in the course for it to be considered for the graduate degree. The graduate academic advisor must be in the area of specialization that the student has selected for their graduate degree. In order to stay in the program, a student must maintain at least a 3.2 GPA in their UNR degree required courses. Upon completion of all BS requirements, a student will receive the BS degree.

A student must complete the BS degree at UNR to be part of the Accelerated BS/MS Program.

During their senior year, student will apply for admission into the Graduate School.

The student must meet all the requirements of the Graduate School and the MS degree granting department. This may include a GPA and/or GRE requirement. The GRE must be taken during the 1st semester of the student’s senior year. This application for Graduate School must be completed before completing the BS degree.

Students will complete all MS degree requirements and may apply up to 12 credits of 600-level courses (at least 3 courses) towards both the BS and MS degree requirements. For the MS degree, the student must meet the Graduate School requirement of an average of a 3.0 GPA in courses applied to the MS degree. Courses and/or thesis requirements will be established by the department graduate advisor.

Approved List of Courses (students may choose up to 12 credits of courses (at least 3 courses) from this list to take at the 600-level):

Continuation in the Program

Continuation in the program requires that students maintain a grade point average of 3.2 or higher. If a student’s GPA drops below 3.2, the student will be placed on academic probation within the program for one semester. If the student raises their GPA to 3.2 or higher, he or she will be removed from probation and returned to good status in the program. If after one semester the student is not able to raise their GPA sufficiently, he or she will be removed from the Accelerated Program. At such point they may pursue BS and MS degrees through normal requirements.

Financial Impact

Students should note that only the graduate courses identified to meet both BS and MS requirements on the Accelerated Bachelor’s/Master’s Program Application may apply towards the 12 credits required for full time undergraduate standing for Federal Financial Aid. The graduate-level courses will require payment of graduate credit tuition.

View program requirements for the Civil Engineering B.S.

View program requirements for the Environmental Engineering B.S.

View program requirements for the Ecohydrology B.S.

View program requirements for the Hydrology M.S. or Hydrogeology M.S.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Interdisciplinary Programs