Sep 29, 2022
Students who start their career at Great Basin College may complete a Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in Sociology by following the course of study described below.
GBC Program to be completed - Associate of Arts
- A candidate for a bachelor’s degree must earn a minimum of 120 units, at least 42 of which must be in courses numbered 300 or above. A minimum of 60 units must be taken at a 4-year institution with a minimum of 30 units (300-level or above) in residence at the University of Nevada, Reno.
- Students who graduate from a Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) community college with an Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, or an Associate of Business degree automatically fulfill lower-division general education requirements (CO1-8) at the University unless specific general education courses are required for completion of the student’s major program.
- To find out how other courses transfer, visit the course equivalency guide.
- See the Sociology, B.A. program description for more information on degree requirements.
NOTE: This transfer agreement has been created specifically for the programs listed above and only applies to students who complete the associate’s degree listed. If the associate’s degree is not earned, or a new program is selected, the transfer and articulation of listed courses, as well as fulfilled degree requirements, could be impacted.
University of Nevada, Reno
(775) 784-4700 option 2
Fitzgerald Student Services Building, Second Floor
College of Liberal Arts Student Center (Transfer Student Advising)
Thompson Building, Room 101
Great Basin College
To ensure a successful transition to the University and graduation in four years, students must work with academic advisors at UNR and GBC throughout their career.
Students may earn an Associate of Arts, Associate of Science or Associate of Business degree after transferring to the University via reverse transfer . Talk with an academic advisor at GBC and/or UNR about this opportunity.
The Co-Admission program may provide the least costly route to a bachelors degree, including personalized academic advising from both institutions, certainty on how your specific courses will transfer and the exchange of transcripts between institutions at no additional cost to you.
For information about the Core Objectives (CO) 1-14, please visit the Core Curriculum chapter in the catalog.
Approved substitutions for bachelor’s degree requirements:
- GBC : APST 207 or 270 = UNR: STAT 152.
Associate’s First Semester (15-17 units)
- ENG 101 - Composition I (3 units) OR
- ENG 100 - Composition-Enhanced (5 units)
- MATH 120 - College Mathematics (3 units)
- HIST 101 - U.S. History to 1877 (3 units) (American Constitutions and Institutions, Course 1 of 2)
- Foreign Language 111 (3 units) (Humanities) *
- Scientific Reasoning (3 units)
Associate’s Second Semester (15 units)
- ENG 102 - Composition II (3 units) CO1, CO3
- SOC 101 - Principles of Sociology (3 units) (Structure of Societies) *
- Foreign Language 112 (3 units) (Foundations: Humanities/Fine Arts) *
- HIST 102 - U.S. History Since 1877 (3 units) (American Constitutions and Institutions, Course 2 of 2))
- Technological Proficiency (3 units) Required:
- IS 101 - Introduction to Information Systems (3 units)
Associate’s Third Semester (15 units)
- STAT 152 - Introduction to Statistics (3 units) CO2 *
- Foreign Language 211 (3 units) *
- Scientific Data Interpretation (3 units)
- Oral Communications (3 units)
- Foundations: Social Science (3 units) Required:
- PSY 208 - Psychology of Human Relations (3 units)
Associate’s Fourth Semester (15 units)
- Fine Arts (3 units)
- PSY 101 - General Psychology (3 units)
- Foreign Language 212 (3 units) *
- PHIL 210 - World Religions (3 units) CO10, CO11 (Satisfies Diversity & Equity/Global Contexts at UNR) *
- Elective (3 units); also satisfies UNR Minor ****
Bachelor’s Fifth Semester (15 units)
Bachelor’s Sixth Semester (15 units)
- SOC Group II (3 units)
- SOC Group III (3 units)
- 300-400 Level Minor (6 units) ****
- Science, Technology & Society (3 units) CO9
Bachelor’s Seventh Semester (15 units)
- 300-400 Level SOC Electives (6 units)
- Ethics (3 units) CO12
- 300-400 Level Minor (3 units) ****
- Global Contexts CO11/Diversity & Equity CO10 (3 units) (If not taken at GBC) OR
- 300-400 Level General Elective (3 units)
Bachelor’s Eighth Semester (15 units)
- College Breadth Requirement (3 units) ***
- General Elective (3 units)
- SOC 408 or SOC 416 or SOC 425 (3 units) CO14
- Capstone Integration & Synthesis (3 units) CO13
- 300-400 Level Minor (3 units) ****
* Course fulfills specific program requirements for the bachelor’s degree.
*** For information about the College Breadth Requirement, please go to the College of Liberal Arts page in the catalog.
**** For information about the Minor, please go to the Undergraduate Minors page in the catalog.
Disclaimer: The provisions of this transfer agreement do not constitute a contract, expressed or implied, between any applicant or student and the University of Nevada, Reno. The university reserves the right to make changes in degree requirements, degree offerings, schedules, course offerings, and other university standards to meet circumstances which may arise after publishing this information online.