Feb 09, 2023
CEP 773 - Internshp Family Counsel (3 to 6 units)
Supervised counseling internship with families. Written application required.
Maximum units a student may earn: 6
Grading Basis: Graded
Units of Internship/Practicum: X
Offered: Every Fall, Spring, and Summer
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
1. demonstrate the skills necessary to effectively address and adjust for culture in group, family, couples, and individual counseling.
2. demonstrate understanding of lifespan development and the capacity to adjust the counseling process for lifespan issues, including factors related to trauma, crisis, and addiction.
3. demonstrate understanding of the world of work, the impact of work on mental health, and the relationship between work and home balance and related systems.
4. demonstrate the capacity to conduct a counseling interview and demonstrate basic and advanced counseling skills and interventions.
5. demonstrate understanding of the characteristics of helpers, empathy, and the therapeutic alliance.
6. demonstrate knowledge in basic counseling and family systems theories.
7. demonstrate basic group leadership skills.
8. demonstrate knowledge of the types of groups, group process, dynamics, stages of group and leadership styles.
9. develop knowledge in diagnosis and assessment.
10. demonstrate adequate competence in the capacity to effectively engage in diagnostic processes.
11. demonstrate skills in the use of a variety of assessment, treatment planning, and goal setting procedures in counseling.
12. demonstrate knowledge of a variety of assessment procedures, including diagnostic interviews, behavioral assessment, psychosocial assessment and environmental assessment.
Click here for course scheduling information. | Check course textbook information
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)