Dec 01, 2023
ENG 114 - Composition II for International and Multilingual Students (3 units) CO1, CO3
Essay writing emphasizing argument, analytical reading/writing, critical thinking, research; attention to English language development. Satisfies the ENG 102 requirement for non-native English speakers.
Prerequisite(s): ENG 113 or ACT English score of 30 or greater or ACT ELA score of 32 or greater or SAT Verbal score of 680 or greater or revised SAT Evidence-Based Reading/Writing score of 660 or greater.
Grading Basis: Graded
Units of Lecture: 3
Offered: Every Fall, Spring, and Summer
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
1. apply and explain the writing process: prewriting, composing, revising, responding, editing, attending to language and style, and writing with audience and purpose in mind.
2. engage in critical reading and interpretation of a wide range of texts.
3. summarize, analyze, synthesize, evaluate, and apply what they read—both orally and in writing.
4. frame complex research questions or problems.
5. produce a coherent, well-supported argument that shows critical thinking about of student’s own and alternative viewpoints.
6. recognize, evaluate, and use a variety of information sources: expert people, publications of information agencies, popular and specialized periodicals, professional journals, books, and electronic resources.
7. conduct research that shows evidence of the ability to synthesize, use fairly, and credit the ideas of others using the appropriate citation style.
8. write coherently and observe the standards of academic English.
Click here for course scheduling information. | Check course textbook information
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)