Mar 02, 2024
Sustainability plays a central role in the future of humanity. Professionals in all disciplines not only need to working together finding solutions to important societal problems, but they also need a broader education and set of tools to devise and design solutions that encompass equity, social, and environmental sustainability. In this minor, students will be able to choose from a selection of courses, cured and developed, to enhance their education in sustainability, in general.
Victor R. Vasquez, Ph.D.
Coordinator of Sustainability Minor
Chemical and Materials Engineering
College of Engineering
Minor Objectives/Student Learning Outcomes
In this sustainability minor, students will be able to choose from a selection of courses (18 units), cured and developed, to enhance and broaden their education in sustainability. These courses provide necessary knowledge and tools allowing to have a broader context to devise and design solutions that encompass equity, social, and environmental sustainability.
The following are Student Learning Outcomes addressed in the minor:
- Students will be able to describe the impact that their disciplines have on the broad sustainability issues of society.
- Students will be able to apply basic basic concepts of sustainablity in developing effective and interdisciplinary to sustainability problems.
- Students will be able to participate in practical experiences and problem solutions that integrate their skills into the context of complex sustainability problems.
- Students will have an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
- Students will have an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
I. Program Requirements (18 units)
The Sustainability minor is available to all majors and consists of a total of 18 units.
- A maximum of 6 units from the student’s major may be applied toward the minor.
- A minimum of 12 units must be at the 300 level or higher.
- Additionally, a maximum of 6 units may be taken from the Renewable Energy Minor.
A. Required Core Courses (9 units)
B. Sustainability Themes (9 units)
Choose three additional courses, each course must be from a different sustainability theme.
Environmental Systems & Impact of Human Activities Theme
Social, Political, and Economical Aspects of Impact on Sustainability Theme
Resources & Matter Transformation into Products & Services Theme
Earth Resources Management & Sustainability Theme
II. Total Units (18 units)