Mar 22, 2023
ENG 205 - Introduction to Creative Writing: Fiction and Poetry (3 units) CO7
Beginning writers workshop in both poetry and fiction.
Prerequisite(s): ENG 102 or ENG 114 .
Grading Basis: Graded
Units of Lecture: 3
Offered: Every Fall, Spring, and Summer
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
1. list and discuss the major craft elements of both poetry and fiction, and recognize those elements within specific texts. (CO7)
2. develop strategies for reading and interpreting contemporary poetry and literary fiction. (CO7)
3. demonstrate, through the production of both poetry and prose, an ability to implement contemporary language and ideas into creative works. (CO1)
4. demonstrate, through the revision of creative works, an awareness of the complexity of the revision process. (CO1)
5. describe, evaluate and critique student-produced texts in the workshop setting. (CO7)
6. write at least three successful poems and two pieces of literary fiction, as measured by the course rubric. (CO1)
7. demonstrate, through the writing of journal entries or reviews, an ability to write thoughtfully about contemporary poetry and fiction.
8. perform or publish at least one poem or piece of short fiction. (CO7)
Click here for course scheduling information. | Check course textbook information
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)